Most commented posts
- Laminating the Front — 2 comments
- Simulating Arcade Monitor Scan lines on a Modern Day LCD Screen — 2 comments
- Laminate Sides Applied — 1 comment
Apr 02 2012
Sep 02 2010
Slooow progress this month.
-I installed the Novamatrix LINX LED marquee light.
-The FE and MAME are configured and running.
-The cold cathode lighting is installed underneath.
Artwork and LED design/installation up next.
So a few personal notes. Keep in mind my last cabinet had a huge W-G D9200 Arcade Monitor. I was concerned about moving to a smaller screen.
1) Having now played MAME on my first LCD cab I can say that it is much nicer than I thought it could be. I played about 25 games without any overlay effects and I wasn’t thrilled as it looked too modern. I then added the RGB_KB.PNG overlay and suddenly it felt very authentic. Additionally the significantly smaller LCD feels MORE authentic than the humongous arcade monitor I had used in my last cabinet. Classic arcade games had small monitors.
2) This is also the first cabinet I have made or played since the MAME artwork engine was redone, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised about how the sides of vertical games can be filled with cropped artwork. The entire MAME experience has come a long way in the years since my last cabinet was built.
3) I highly recommend the GGG Novamatrix LINX LED Marquee light. I bought 2 extra segments and it was perfect.
Mar 23 2010
The cabinet is 90% finished. As soon as I get my new high-lip trackball I can wire up the control panel and move my focus to the software configuration, artwork, and LED-lit bling.
Mar 23 2010
Finally I spent some time fashioning the control panel and lexan overlay.
Mar 22 2010
It was a gorgeous day out so I made did some more work finally. First up, the speaker grill. I made it out of 1/2″ MDF that is held on with really powerful rare earth magnets.
First I screwed in some temporary router guides and cut the speaker holes, then I rounded it over and spray painted it black. I held the frame in position and drilled four small pilot holes to be guides for drilling the retainer magnet holes. The magnets were epoxied into holes that were already a snug fit. I stretched the grille cloth over and secured with staples and hobby glue. Everything came out great:
Apr 04 2009
I am still working out the details of my control panel layout, but I know that I am going to use these – genuine Atari ‘volcano’ start buttons. I ordered them from RAM Controls. The switch is NOS (“New Old Stock” – 25 years old but never used) and the cones are high-quality reproductions. I think these will complement the stainless token top spinner knob very nicely.
I got a kick out of the old hand-typed label too.
Mar 30 2009
I uesd my tablesaw to dado out an angled groove in a block of wood to support the tinted safety glass in front of the monitor. I then used glue and pocket hole screws to fasten the block to the inside of the control panel. This block will not be visible as the control panel will be angled and close over it flush against the glass.
Mar 29 2009
I have redone the speaker panel and monitor mount, I am much happier with them now. I ordered a piece of smoked tempered glass today, and will be spray-painting a ‘bezel’ on the back of it. I also hope to cut the marquee plexi this weekend.
The ‘secondary speakers’ to be used with the Ambiance App.
Mar 22 2009
Made some more progress yesterday. I decided to stay with a square CP box but will make a curved front edge on the panel itself. I did wind up using laminate on the CP sides. If you look really close it’s not perfect, but it looks very nice.
Mar 13 2009
Next Step: laminateing the drawer fronts and finishing them with T-molding.